French Cars Specialists

What Documents Do I Need to Sell My Car?

Unlike paying for your weekly shop at the supermarket or selling your mate an old game you no longer want, selling your car is a little more complicated than handing over the goods in return for cash. To sell your car, you need a number of documents to hand. Here, we’ll be showing you exactly what documents you’ll need to sell your car, which include:

  • A full MOT & service history
  • Proof of purchase
  • Paperwork such as handbooks and manuals
  • V5C registration certificate (logbook)


A Full MOT & Service History

If you have taken care of your vehicle properly during your ownership, your car should have a full MOT and service history. When you come to selling your car, such an asset will not only make selling your car easier, but will also allow you to sell it for more, too. If you haven’t fully serviced your car, not to worry – the only issue is that you won’t be able to sell your car for as much money. When you sell the car, remember to hand over its MOT certificate and service history to the new owner.

Sidenote: Settle Outstanding Finance!

Before putting your car up for sale, you need to settle any and all outstanding finance you have on the car. To do this, you may need the logbook (V5C), so it is well worth settling your finance before handing over the car and its logbook to a new owner.

Proof of Purchase

Prepare for the sale by creating a receipt for the transaction between you and the buyer. You should have two copies of the receipt made out, one for each party. The key details the receipt should note include:

  • The make, model, year and registration number of the vehicle
  • The VIN (chassis) number
  • Both your’s and the buyer’s names and addresses
  • The date of purchase
  • The transaction amount

However, you may prefer to opt for a sale contract, which would protect you as the seller of the vehicle against a variety of sale problems. It would also protect the buyer to an extent as well, namely in that it will ensure that they are protected should the vehicle not function at time of purchase.

V5C Registration Certificate

The V5C registration certificate is an important part of the sales process and must be handed over to the new owner. On it though, you will find a section that you will need to keep after making the sale. Section 6 is what you’ll need to send to the DVLA to notify them of the sale and the vehicle’s change of ownership. In this section you will need to fill out the new owner’s details, such as name and address, so the DVLA can update their records.

Handbooks and Manuals

Any and all paperwork that came with the vehicle must be present at the sale and exchange of vehicle ownership. This includes the vehicle’s handbook and manual, but you should make sure that the buyer doesn’t take photos or copies of these before the sale is final.

Citroen-Peugeot Specialists Ltd offer professional, high quality MOTs and car services at an affordable price for those in the North London area from our centrally located garage in Finchley. We also carry out all manner of repairs and maintenance ranging from air conditioning to clutch repairstyre fittings to wheel balancing. To book your vehicle in with us for a full check before selling it on, contact our friendly team today

Scroll to Top